Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Floating Labyrinth of Venice

Chapter 5 - Venezia, Italia
Venice is a maze! We put our map away confident in the fact that all roads lead to San Marco. Yes they do but it will take some time to find. You seem to burst out from the labyrinth of cobble stoned lane ways to the beautiful grand canal. The sensory overload is too much!

When I saw the above image in front of me I had to capture it. For me this picture embodies Venice. I had but a second to take this before the gondoliers started trying to drum up business. The lamp post, water, gondolas and gondoliers is pure Venice for me.

Basilica Di San Marco instills faith and religion in you just by looking at it. The gold mosaics are blinding, the art, the religion, the history. It is here, it is everywhere, it is overwhelming. I pray (how can you not?).
I could not get enough of Venice, it is a unique and amazing place. As we walked around St Mark's square and the music from a nearby band were playing, I grabbed Ad and started dancing. That is what this country does to you...It makes you dance (alot of that dancing was on the inside) and as cliche as it is, it really does make your heart sing. Even now when I look at images or hear stories from Italy, my heart skips a beat and I am back...why on earth did it take me so long to get here?

No comments:

Post a Comment