Saturday, July 18, 2009

Chapter 7 - Finding Artistic Appreciation in Florence

We caught the train from Verona to Florence, I was excited to be visiting the home of Michaelangelo and his infamous David. Florence promised to be full of art and culture I couldn't wait..

and I have to say my first impression of Florence was ambivalent. There was a lot of construction that was happening through out the city that took away some of it's charm, however, this is Italy and I have loved Italy so far and wanted to continue the love affair. Suffice to say that the love affair continues.........

We navigate our way through the lane ways and piazza's to find the very impressive Duomo. The beautiful pink, white and green marble of Duomo, the detail and once again the religion. I love being a Catholic in Italy! Inside Duomo I light a candle, count my blessings and whisper a prayer for my family.



Fresco in Duomo

Our first night in Florence was spent drinking way too much and staying out way too late. It was at a wine bar with our Aussie friend (who speaks fluent Italian) also travelling through Italy that we met some characters. A passionate Florentine who insisted on telling me about the history of Florence. His stories were passionate and full of gesture (I couldn't get away!). He also loved Midnight Oil (an Australian band), that we thought was very amusing. An Italian speaking Japanese chef. He had spent the last 3 years in Italy to learn about the cuisine with a plan to open an Italian restaurant in Japan. Finally we met another Aussie from Sydney who had spent a friends 50th (from memory?) celebrating in Tuscany.

We asked our Japanese chef to recommend a restaurant and off we went (minus the Florentine) on a very messy night. What can often be a good idea at the time (another glass for me please) is often not the case in the harsh light of day!With a very sore head and very dry mouth we gingerly make our way to the Uffizi. The art work is amazing & Madonna and child were everywhere. I longed for my little girls and missed them so much with every image of Madonna and child. The paintings of Christ, John the Baptist, Mary and the Saints it all brings religion alive.

The Uffizi is HUGE and nearly killed me. After two hours or so I had to opt out...you need stamina and a clear head for the Uffizi. I have to return to pay her the respect she deserves.

I loved the sculptures around the Uffizi. I particularly loved the one above. It evokes the whole lust, love, betrayal and passion beautifully. At some time I am sure we have all experienced this and this sculpture (to me anyway) captures it all!

Neptune..My goodness what a fine example of man he was! He stands proud and tall and commands your attention. He got it!

No comments:

Post a Comment